Friday, January 23, 2009

Big Day Out 2009

Featuring Neil Young, Arctic Monkeys, The Prodigy, The Ting Tings, TV on the Radio, Hot Chip, Bullet For My Valentine, Cut Copy, Dropkick Murphys, My Morning Jacket, Pendulum, Simian Mobile Disco, Lupe Fiasco, Black Kids, Serj Tankian, The Living End, Youth Group, Fantômas, The Grates, TC, Sneaky Sound System, The Butterfly Effect, Infusion, DJ Z-Trip, Cog, The Drones, Birds of Tokyo, The Getaway Plan, Holy Ghost!, Children Collide, Sparkadia, Mercy Arms, I Heart Hiroshima, Son Of Dave, Little Red, T-Rek, Mammal, WOW, TZU, Died Pretty, Ajax, Horrorshow, The Scare, quan, The Bang Gang Deejays, Tiki Taane, The Jezabels, The Reels, theredsunband, Eddy Current Supression Ring, Barrence Whitfield, Dj Jem, Vaudeville, Pee Wee Ferris, Kate Bradley & The Goodbye Horses, Andee Frost, Rockwiz Orkestra, Purple Sneakers DJs (PhDJ & Vivienne Kingswood) and Mixed by Sasha Vatoff.

Whinge whinge whinge fuck Big Day Out. Yes I know it was hypocritical of me to go to both this and Decolonise but I ended up having a solid day of music and Neil Young mother fuckers. Also I took my mum to see Neil. Awesome.

Day started with Eddy Current Suppression Ring, had to abandon this recording after being punched in the face and bleeding everywhere. Big Day Out yo.

I can't remember what was next but I ended up at Black Kids eventually, they surprised me, pretty tight live and a lot of fun. I was way stoked on that EP when it came out in Year 12 but the album was a bit iffy with all the re-recordings. But they seemed pretty damn cited to be in Australia.

Setlist
Look at Me When I Rock Withcoo
Hit the Heartbreaks
Partie Traumatic
I’ve Underestimated My Charm (Again)
I Wanna Be Your Limousine
Listen to Your Body Tonight
Hurricane Jane
Love Me Already
I’m Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance With You

Black Kids - Big Day Out, Sydney, 23/01/2009 - 48.4mb - 39 minutes

TV on the Radio next, one of the main reasons I went and here's what I said at the time:

Incredibly disappointing after the 2006 tour. The performance was energetic and tight, but the sound was just terrible and the crowd even worse. Set list wasn’t too good either. Not that the show is bad, but it didn’t live up to the incredibly high standards that they set themselves.

I am totally amazed that I am barely able to keep up 3 minutes of interesting conversation at the best of times, yet others are bursting at the seams so much with conversation that it requires them to talk through out the ENTIRE set. Please stop talking about your new oven or how Tom fingered Jane and watch the band for 50 minutes.

HOWEVER. Listening back on the recording the sound ain't so bad, and you can totally hear the energy. Good set list as well though its hard to disappoint when you're TV on the Radio.

Setlist
Young Liars
The Wrong Way
Dancing Choose
Golden Age
Wolf Like Me
Red Dress
Shout Me Out
DLZ
Let the Devil In
Satellite
Staring at the Sun

TV on the Radio - Big Day Out, Sydney, 23/01/2009 - 63.3mb - 51 minutes

Died Pretty next, finally got to see them, were fun, then My Morning Jacket, had I known what I knew today I'd still have a recording of this. I sat in the shade during the Ting Tings at one point, woeful but everyone else was having fun.

The Drones then did what the Drones always do, kicked everyone's asses, another highlight for the day.

Setlist
Nail it Down
Oh My
Shark Fin Blues
The Minotaur
Luck in Odd Numbers
River of Tears
I Don't Ever Want to Change

The Drones - Big Day Out, Sydney, 23/01/2009 - 58.5mb - 47 minutes

I wander around for a little bit a caught a few glimpses of a few bands then saw Arctic Monkeys, here's what I said at the time:

I never really dug this band and thought they were going to be a complete bore, but they were alright I guess. They played the one song I like of theirs early so I did end up getting quite bored. Also the cover of Red Right Hand was cringe worthy. Alex Turner keeps trying to say turbo heaps but it falls flat considering he has absolutely no personality. Set also reminded me of just how many singles these guys have.

Sound goes a bit in and out because that’s what happens when you’re 120 metres away from the speakers in a windy stadium.

Arctic Monkeys - Big Day Out, Sydney, 23/01/2009 - 77mb - 61 minutes

Neil Young, Neil Young is god. So amazing, once again very far away because I didn't have the balls to go past security with all my microphones (mumsy was like second or third row) but this was amazing. Also seeing generic shirtless Shire bogan with a huge smile on his face singing every word and proclaiming every song to be the highlight of his day, and then shitting his pants he covers the Beatles was an awesome sight.

Setlist
Love and Only Love
Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)
Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
Spirit Road
Cortez the Killer
Cinnamon Girl
Mother Earth
The Needle and the Damage Done
Heart of Gold
Old Man
Cowgirl in the Sand
Just Singing a Song
Rockin’ in the Free World
Encore
A Day in the Life

Neil Young - Big Day Out, Sydney, 23/01/2009 - 108.8mb - 1 hour 30 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment