Friday, April 17, 2009

Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival Day One

I'm here! I'm fucken here!

I'll probably skip through all the hoo-haa bout how all amazing this was and skip all the bands I saw and didn't record, because who wants to hear me speak about those?


I’ve always been half-half on Los Campesinos! They make incredibly awesome music but have some of the most cringe worthy lyrics ever. They were the first band I saw at Coachella and they were all kinds of awesome. Gareth jumped into the crowd during a song and managed to try and gouge my eyes out. The entire band crowd surfed to the back of the tent during the last song and then walked off casually. I caught a drumstick and generally had an awesome time. I am no longer half-half on them. Probably like 90-10 now.

Setlist
Ways to Make it Through the Wall
The International Tweexcore Underground
Documented Minor Emotional Breakdown #1
My Year in Lists
Death to Los Campesinos!
Miserabilia
This is How You Spell “HAHAHA, We Destroyed the Hopes and Dreams of a Generation of Faux Romantics”
Knee Deep at ATP
Box Elder/You! Me! Dancing!
We are Beautiful, We are Doomed
Sweet Dreams, Sweet Cheeks

Los Campesinos! - Coachella, Indio, 17/04/2009 - 68.7mb - 47 minutes



Because I went totally AWOL at Laneway this year I missed Buraka Som Sistema and heard nothing but rave reviews the next day. They were intensely fun. Highlight being when they got the entire crowd to get down on the ground and then just go nuts on the count of 4. The sheer energy of this set actually comes through really well on the recording.

Buraka Som Sistema - Coachella, Indio, 17/04/2009 - 49.3mb - 35 minutes

How's this for an amateur mistake. Went and saw the wonderful Leonard Cohen, pressed record, didn't flick the hold switch on, dropped it back in my bag and hit the stop button accidentally about 8 minutes into the set. He was amazing though guys.

Finally see Morrissey in the flesh. Left quite disappointed. He just wasn’t into it at all, someone in the crowd said that he was probably bitter about always playing second billing but I don’t know about that. Made a lot of comments about meat and then pretended that he couldn’t sing Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others because he needed to gag over the smell of burning animal flesh.

And you can bet that he for sure as shit took his shirt off. Three times.

Setlist
This Charming Man
First of the Gang to Die
Black Cloud
Girlfriend in a Coma
Irih Blood, English Heart
How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?
When I Last Spoke to Carol
Some Girls are Bigger than Others
I’m Throwing My Arms Around Paris
Seasick, Yet Still Docked
The Loop
Sorry Doesn’t Help
Ask
Let Me Kiss You
How Soon is Now?

Morrissey - Coachella, Indio, 17/04/2009 - 85.7mb - 56 minutes

Paul bloody McCartney!

In the Top 5 shows I have ever seen. I cannot fault this performance in anyway. He dedicated My Love to Linda McCartney who died 11 years ago that day, the crowd was completely silent. The pops you hear during Live and Let Die are the sounds of the craziest pyro/fireworks show I’ve ever seen during a performance. He played everything I could of dreamed of hearing and more. The only thing that bummed me out was that he played A Day in the Life as part of a medley but it was a totally insigificant point within the entire performance. Just read the set list for proof of him playing ev.ry.thing.

Another problem with the performance that’s reflected in the recording is that as the set went on it kept getting louder and louder so it starts to distort a bit of the way into it. Not too bad though, kinda dissappointing though.

Setlist
Jet
Drive My Car
Only Mama Knows
Flaming Pie
Got to Get You Into My Life
Let Me Roll It/Foxy Lady
Honey Hush
Highway
The Long and Winding Road
My Love
Blackbird
Here Today
Dance Tonight
Calico Skies
Mrs. Vanderbilt
Eleanor Rigby
Sing the Changes
Band on the Run
Back in the USSR
Something
I Got a Feeling
Paperback Writer
A Day in the Life/Give Peace a Chance
Let it Be
Live and Let Die
Hey Jude
Encore
Birthday
Can’t Buy Me Love
Lady Madonna
I Saw Her Standing There
Encore
Yesterday
Helter Skelter
Get Back
Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
The End

Paul McCartney - Coachella, Indio, 17/04/2009 - 218mb - 2 hours 29 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment